SubjectRe: reading 1 hardsector size, not one block size
On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:

> ??? If "FS" means "filesystem" - it couldn't care less. If your driver can

Yes FS == "filesystem", sorry, I thought that was generic.

> give these blocks some numbers and is ready to serve requests - fine,
> filesystem will neither know nor care about the way you are doing that.
> For all it cares you might have a _really_ big roll of paper tape and sit
> there punching the data with a toothpick.

Alex,

If you want to be able to access the drives ATA or SCSI at the drive level
there needs to be a method of doing so.

Matt asked can he go to a specified physical drive address and read a
given number of sectors from the drive. This is different than what
everyone else is giving him answers for by adjusting the FS block-size.

> It would help if you started with decoding TLA and TLAs...

Total Lame Answers, okay .... :-)

Can you tell me how to get/do this request? (seriously).

read(32 sectors, beginning at LBA 50)

How can one do this through the FS-layer?

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.054 / U:16.536 seconds]