SubjectRe: Linux boots on Wildfire^WGS320!
On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 12:18:11PM +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:
> I want that machine! Hmm, would it fit in my room?

It depends on the size of the room of course, but it wouldn't fit in mine and
you also need 3phase electricity connection to have a chance to power it up :).
Pretty amazing. I ported linux to it and booted the linux kernel the first time
into it in April this year with the kind help of Jay Estabrook (the machine I
was using for doing the port had ""only"" 11 CPUs and 8G of ram :).

To make it to work faster when the memory and CPUs of more of one node are used
by linux (btw currently we can't run more than one linux kernel at once) we
need to do real NUMA (not only DISCONTIGMEM). That means at least duplicating
the kernel on each node, and adding NUMA heuristics into scheduler and
allocator along the lines of what SGI folks are doing for Origin 2K.

The allocator also mandatory needs part of classzone to be able to make decent
decisions. (putting the memory of different NUMA nodes internally to a pgdat_t
as different zones as it's been proposed in linux-mm is a broken hack that
can't work right) Infact saying that classzone have problems with NUMA
looks silly to me as it's the other way around as far I can see.

Andrea

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.092 / U:0.036 seconds]