    SubjectRe: We interrupt you regularly scheduled catfight for.. Linux 2.2.18pre13

    On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:

    > Where does the idea that the kernel 'needs' a special compiler
    > come from ? I have been under the impression that that is just

    Mostly from the sad fact that it does.

    > what we were trying to get away from . I am reminded of other
    > os's that required their propritary compiler in order to create
    > a os image . Please let us not travel that road . Tia , JimL

    Patches are welcome. But keep in mind that we _are_ dependent on a
    particular compiler. gcc, that is. I would be glad to get rid of it - the
    codebase is extremely messy. However, removing gcc-isms is a huge
    work. You are welcome to do it, indeed, but so far nobody had done that.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.020 / U:29.912 seconds]