SubjectRe: Posting to this list without 500 bounces?

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Phil Randal wrote:

> When I was researching the use of ORBS and MAPS a few weeks
> back, my first thought was that the DUL would unfairly block Linux
> users running Sendmail. Looks like that's true.

> The DUL's rationale is very suspect. The logic goes... Some
> spammers use SMTP from their dial-up PCs to send spam, so we'll
> block their ISP's dial-up address ranges. Not to worry, because
> legitimate users will relay through their ISP's mail servers.

You forgot about the lusers with open relays on hands. MAPS and ORBS can't
handle that. And yes, it's serious - scanning the large range for open
relays is trivial. Unfortunately, it scales well and spamware doing
exactly that exists and is used. 30 56K links => T1...

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.184 / U:0.316 seconds]