    SubjectRe: Linux kernel modules development in C++

    Timur> I haven't tried C++ in Linux drivers myself, but I assume it
    Timur> can't be any more difficult than what I had to do for OS/2.
    Timur> Five years ago (imagine that - OS/2 is years ahead of Linux in
    Timur> this regard), I hacked up a method for getting C++ code to
    Timur> compile into an OS/2 device driver. I had to write some extra
    Timur> code, but it was really no problem.

    And most people would said that Linux is years ahead of OS/2 because
    we thought the issue through and concluded that C++ does not belong in
    the kernel.

    The issue keeps coming up on this list and every single time it gets
    shot down with good technical reasons. Go search through the mailing
    list archives or kernel-traffic and see why.

    I just wish the linux-kernel FAQ would remove the rubbish about C++
    actually being superior to C in some cases it had in it last time I
    looked at it.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.024 / U:67.752 seconds]