SubjectRe: Linux kernel modules development in C++
Timur Tabi wrote:
> The real advantage comes when you're writing a driver where the design is
> inherently object-oriented. I can't give an example in Linux...

The VFS is inherently object-oriented. Each filesystem works by
overriding a few methods stored in function table structs. The MM is
well on its way to being object-oriented - check out 'struct
address_space'. I haven't gotten into it much yet but I gather the
various buses are also organized in much the same way. On the whole,
Linux is very object-oriented, but it's not C++-oriented. The bad news
is you don't get any class syntax support from the compiler, you have to
write it all out by hand; the good news is that you tend to be well
aware of exactly what code is being executed to do a given job.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.105 / U:0.024 seconds]