SubjectRe: Russell King forks ARM Linux.
Date
Followup to:  <200009272115.WAA22324@flint.arm.linux.org.uk>
By author: Russell King <rmk@arm.linux.org.uk>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Alan Cox writes:
> > > now. IMHO, today he lost it, declaring that he was going to block all
> > > e-mails from Compaq, which means he can not recieve any more ARM Linux
> > > patches from us. I have tried every method that I know of, to work with
> >
> > So is there a URL with the whole discussion on. It looks like a fun read ?
>
> Have a look at the linux-arm-kernel archive at
>
> http://lists.arm.linux.org.uk/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/
>
> for the thread:
>
> Re: information request about serial driver

For what it's worth, the SA1100 serial driver has been registered with
me on the Low-Density Serial Ports major (204) as /dev/ttySA0-2 (minor
5-7).

Russ is 100% correct that different drivers shouldn't use the
same device numbers, unless they are:

a) mutually exclusive,
b) interface compatible, *AND*
c) handle all arbitration necessary.

If (a), (b) and (c) are all satisfied, it is often justified to share
device numbers and device nodes.

-hpa

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt