SubjectRe: AW: Given an image, how can show its config?
On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Butter, Frank wrote:

> > How about putting these files in the modules directory? That
> > way, we have
> > a nice consistent location for them.
> > /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/System.map etc. is a fair
> > approximation, but
> > you lose that every time the kernel source is changed, even if the new
> > image isn't installed.
>
> Your assumption is that you have only one config per machine with a certain
> kernel-release and that you are building the kernel for _this_ box.

No. I am assuming you are installing the kernel on the machine you do
"make modules_install" on. Obviously it is possible to install a different
kernel image of the same version without updating the modules - but if you
do so, expect nasty things to happen anyway if you're using modules!

> There are other options, and in these more complex cases the
> "config-tracking" is more important than in the single case, where you
> actually have /usr/src/linux/arch/boot.

In more complex cases, find a more complex solution - this is a nice
simple solution which works for the typical case of building and
installing a kernel!

If you are DIY upgrading a box's kernel, this solution works fine. If
you're maintaining a distribution, you should be able to use this solution
without much extra effort. If you are building kernels to DIY upgrade
other machines, and don't bother copying /lib/modules/`uname -r` then you
need to find another solution. I doubt this scenario is common enough to
justify denying the vast majority of Linux users this facility!

James.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.073 / U:9.196 seconds]