SubjectRe: the new VM
Hi Rik,

Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br> writes:

> > Because as you said the machine can lockup when you run out of memory.
>
> The fix for this is to kill a user process when you're OOM
> (you need to do this anyway).
>
> The last few allocations of the "condemned" process can come
> frome the reserved pages and the process we killed will exit just
> fine.

It's slightly offtopic, but you should think about detached shm
segments in yout OOM killer. As many of the high end applications like
databases and e.g. SAP have most of the memory in shm segments you
easily end up killing a lot of processes without freeing a lot of
memory. I see this often in my shm tests.

Greetings
Christoph

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.706 / U:0.076 seconds]