    SubjectRe: the new VMt
    On Mon Sep 25, 2000 at 02:04:19PM -0600, yodaiken@fsmlabs.com wrote:

    > > all of the pending requests just as long as they are serialised, is
    > > this a problem?
    >
    > I think you are solving the wrong problem. On a small memory machine, the kernel,
    > utilities, and applications should be configured to use little memory.
    > BusyBox is better than BeanCount.

    Granted that smaller apps can help -- for a particular workload. But while I
    am very partial to BusyBox (in fact I am about to cut a new release) I can
    assure you that OOM is easily possible even when your user space is tiny. I do
    it all the time. There are mallocs in busybox and when under memory pressure,
    the kernel still tends to fall over...

    -Erik

    --
    Erik B. Andersen email: andersee@debian.org