SubjectRe: Tailmerging for Ext2 - release 0.0
Date
Marc Lehmann wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 10:59:54PM +0200, Daniel Phillips <news-innominate.list.linux.kernel@innominate.de> wrote:
> > Here we are, finally: code. I do not make any claim that this code is
> > elegant, correct, complete, esthetically pleasing or that it will
> > refrain from eating your hard disk.
> >
> > What this code will do is let you verify for yourself whether my
> > proposed approach to tailmerging for Ext2 is worth the effort. After
>
> Well, if ext2 gets some decent directory speed up soon + some journaling
> (soon as well ;) then this could be a very viable alternative to reiserfs!

Ext2 already has journalling - it's called Ext3. I see that Ingo
Molnar has been working on a btree directory extension for Ext2 but I
don't know what state it's in.

With these three extensions most of Ext2's remaining problems won't
hurt much until you get into terabyte filesystems.

--
Daniel