    SubjectFunction calls not permitted in kernel code
    Hi, couldn't find an answer to this in any FAQ:

    Can anyone point me to a clear summary of what can and what
    can't be called by kernel code.

    That is, can a kernel module open and read files or sockets,
    call libc functions, start processes?

    If, as I suspect, none of these are possible, are the options

    (1) Get a user process to do the work, communicating
    with the kernel via /proc or some other way.

    (2) Doing things really low-level through kernel calls
    (such as injecting skbs into TCP/IP code).

    Thanks -- Mark

    PS: Are there any plans to go beyond store and forward for
    IP forwarding to implement Tx as soon as the IP header is
    Rx-ed and checked, while the packet data is still being
    Rx-ed? How useful would this be for Internet latency
    on unsaturated links?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.022 / U:6.944 seconds]