SubjectRe: thread rant

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, dean gaudet wrote:

> yup you can do this without threads. apache-1.3+mod_ssl for example.
>
> but it's not fun, and it's a lot more work on the portability side.
> inter-process shared memory and inter-process semaphores are
> notoriously different across platforms... [...]

but it's slower (on SMP) and more error-prone to use threads. We have the
following task: 'use multiple contexts and share some state'. The 'share
everything' model overdoes this goal a bit. Why not share the *specific*
state that should be shared, and nothing more? The fact that this is
inconsistent across platforms is IMHO not a good excuse - it just shows
the mistaken concept that threads should be used for such tasks. You are
right about the semaphore part - i have plans to add a new type of
semaphore to Linux, which are not as complex as SysV semaphores and are
not persistent.

Ingo

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans