    SubjectRe: thread rant

    On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, dean gaudet wrote:

    > yup you can do this without threads. apache-1.3+mod_ssl for example.
    >
    > but it's not fun, and it's a lot more work on the portability side.
    > inter-process shared memory and inter-process semaphores are
    > notoriously different across platforms... [...]

    but it's slower (on SMP) and more error-prone to use threads. We have the
    following task: 'use multiple contexts and share some state'. The 'share
    everything' model overdoes this goal a bit. Why not share the *specific*
    state that should be shared, and nothing more? The fact that this is
    inconsistent across platforms is IMHO not a good excuse - it just shows
    the mistaken concept that threads should be used for such tasks. You are
    right about the semaphore part - i have plans to add a new type of
    semaphore to Linux, which are not as complex as SysV semaphores and are
    not persistent.

    Ingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.021 / U:0.492 seconds]