SubjectRe: thread rant [semi-OT]

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, J. Dow wrote:

> Dan, another thing to consider with multithreading is that it is a way
> to avoid "convoy" effects if there is a nice priority mechanism for
> first in first out messaging. [...]

yep, this is a frequent problem at the level of the kernel. We fixed such
a (longtime) performance bug just a couple of weeks ago in the TCP-accept
logic. We are using FIFO in most places where multiple contexts are
waiting. But is 'shared everything multithreading' the natural solution
for this? Nope, that statement is misleading. 'Multi-contexting' is the
solution. Those contexts can be 'shared-everything threads' or 'isolated
processes' as well.

Ingo

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.101 / U:0.120 seconds]