On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 12:56:07PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> I'd like to know what it was. Last I heard, it was still the case of
> "pages just off the freelist had some bits set that they shouldn't have".
> That makes me nervous.

Perhaps this is an example of a problem that would be found quickly when the
patch is released to a wider public. This appears to be the only remaining
issue that bites.

Perhaps this could even be fleshed out in pre-patches, which have a long
history of being dangerous or uncompileable - by the time the real testN
release follows the trouble may either be resolved, or the old vm may be
reinstated. I suspect that Rik & his palls over at #kernelnewbies can work
fast enough to get stuff done in a pre-patch cycle.

This offers us the chance to try the VM on for size, and who knows, it might
just work well enough. Currently, any VM patches receive little testing and
are therefore in danger of being either over- or underengineered, or being
tailored too much for one single purpose.

Please consider the pre-patch scenario.

Regards,

bert hubert