SubjectRe: Timeout during booting up non-DMA hard-disks
kernel-god,

Thanks. However, I have checked that, during bootup, the IRQ 10 is only used
by the IDE card (HPT370 chipset). (note, I have the onboard IDE attahced with a
hard disk holding Linux).

Would it be related to the driver which tried to treat my hard disk as DMA ones
instead of PIO?

Thanks.

Quoting "kernel-god@netravi.net" <kernel@netravi.net>:

> On some motherboards the IRQs are shared by PCI slots, look out for
> that.
>
> More importantly, if two or more PCI slots share the same Bus Master
> Control Signal you are asking for trouble(assuming you are using both
> slots)
>
> kernel@netravi.net
>
> On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Terence Ang wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Platforms
> > ==========
> > Linux 2.2.17 with ide & raid patches.
> >
> > Problems
> > ========
> > We recently purchased an IDE Card (HPT370 chipsets) and connected two
> 540MB hard
> > disks (PIO 3) to it.
> >
> > During booting up, the hard disks could be recognized. However, it
> wait a long
> > time before proceeding the loading of the resources such as eth0,
> httpd.
> >
> > The followings are displayed during boot up:
> > hde:hde: timeout waiting for DMA
> > ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
> > hde: irq timeout: status=0x5a { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest
> > hde: timeout waiting for DMA
> > ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
> > hde: irq timeout: status=0x5a { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest
> > hde: timeout waiting for DMA
> > ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
> > hde: irq timeout: status=0x5a { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest
> > hde: timeout waiting for DMA
> > ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
> > hde: irq timeout: status=0x5a { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest
> > hde: DMA disabled
> > ide2: reset: success
> > hde1
> >
> > Grateful for anyone's assistance.
> > -
> linux-kernel" in

Terence Ang
Chief Technology Officer
Gurubase Technology Ltd.
Office : (852) 2413 0126
Fax : (852) 2413 0160
Mobile : (852) 9655 4429
Email : terence.ang@gurubase.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.046 / U:0.408 seconds]