    SubjectRe: The INN/mmap bug
    On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    >
    > > And as we've seen, simplifying this area would not necessarily be a bad
    > > thing ;)
    > >
    > > Right now I'll just do the minimal fix, though, I think.
    >
    > Fine with me. I'll do the full analysis tonight, anyway, and try
    > to write down the rules for that stuff. One thing that makes me
    > seriously uneasy is the fact that VM knows about ->buffers -

    This doesn't make me happy either. It doesn't work for
    network-based filesystems, won't work with KIOBUF and
    will mean extra difficulties with filesystems that have
    write ordering constraints....

    IMHO it would be really nice if this problem was solved
    on the /PAGE/ level, so it will work for non-buffer
    filesystems as well ;)

    (at least, for those problems which aren't specific to
    the disk-based filesystems only)

    > I'm not proposing it for immediate inclusion, but I don't feel
    > good about all this code - current rules are too complex and
    > rely on details of VM/buffer interaction too much for my taste.
    > It may be correct, but it's not obviously correct...

    Indeed...

    regards,

    Rik
    --
    "What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
    -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

    http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/