SubjectRe: test9-pre1 hang when loading scsi-ide cdrom
On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 03:20:17PM +0200, Torben Mathiasen wrote:

> > The problem seems to reside in the ide-scsi driver; if the cdrom (sr_mod) is
> > not loaded, I get during initialisation of the ide-scsi module a lockup
> > after printing the information about the 1st host (dies after the 'Type:
> > CDROM' line). Probing the 2nd host seems to fail.
> >

> When did this start to happen? I sustect this is something similar to what has
> been happening with sd because of the module_init/exit stuff.

Latest version that worked for me was test7.

> Some people are seeing lockups because of the sd changes, going back to init_module
> cures it. The problems is within the scsi subsystem itself.
>
> Could you try reverting the init_sr/exit_sr to init_module/cleanup_module and
> removing module_init/exit please?

I tried but this didn't make any difference. No surprise because the
ide-scsi also causes a hangup if the sr driver is not loaded.

Since the test9-pre2 was out yesterday evening I gave it a try. No
difference, also hangs after probing the first ide device.

I understood there are some problems in the scsi subsystem; especially
difference in behaviour regarding if modules are used or not. In my config
the adaptec aha-2940uw (AIC7xxxx) is included in the kernel image, while the
ide-scsi is compiled as a module. Perhaps this does matter...

from my .configure:

#
# SCSI support
#
CONFIG_SCSI=y

#
# SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
CONFIG_SD_EXTRA_DEVS=40
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR_VENDOR=y
CONFIG_SR_EXTRA_DEVS=2
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=m

#
# Some SCSI devices (e.g. CD jukebox) support multiple LUNs
#
CONFIG_SCSI_DEBUG_QUEUES=y
# CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN is not set
CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS=y