SubjectRe: New topic (PowerPC Linux PCI HELL)
Date

>All I wanted was a function that allows the driver to decide that which
>needs to be enabled.
>
>pci_enable_device(struct pci_dev *dev, byte enable_mask)
>
>This would allow drivers to enable that which it needs and not weird out
>the hardware that does not like all of this extra fluff.

This is indeed interesting.

Some devices, for example, will provide several apertures (can eat much
bus space) while only one of them is actually needed by the driver.
Having the driver be able to only enable (and possibly claim) one of them
would free up some bus space for other devices (I'm thinking here about
hot swap devices that will dynamically claim bus space, like cardbus).

Ben.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.258 / U:0.056 seconds]