SubjectRe: Q: sock output serialization
Date

alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk said:
> I think its fixable to make it do the RR/RNR after bouncing it up the
> stack. -

ARCnet does ACK in hardware. Packets don't hit the wire until the
destination has indicated that it's got a buffer available.

You really want to be able to reserve space on the queue before telling the
chip to accept another incoming packet - not just realise afterwards that
you've screwed up.

Strictly speaking, this fact is irrelevant to the case in question, but if
we're modifying the generic code for LAPB, we might as well think about other
protocols which require similar treatment.

--
dwmw2