SubjectPROBLEM: Segmentation fault [SIGSEGV] reading from /proc/tty/driv er/serial
Igmar,

Thanks for attempting to validate that the problem is fixed in a
later release. However, I still stand by my submission.

If the readers will note, the problem is in 2.2.14 and
AND in 2.3.5 as referenced by another auther. It looks like the
info structure in drivers/char/serial.c:line_info is not sufficiently
initialized in all cases that might be processed by serial_in()
for instance, the CONFIG_HUB6 case. If line_info populates an
info struct and CONFIG_HUB6 is defined and info->hub6 is
dereferenced, there may well be garbage in info->hub6.

I've searched the source trees and I don't see any of the fixes
between 2.2.14 and 2.2.17 referenced by the previous author at
the end of my original post.

That said, the incompletely initialized "info" structure problem
exists. The fact that you and many others may not encountered the
problem is pure happenstance either because CONFIG_HUB6 was not
configured or you were lucky enough not to have garbage in any
of the data structures.

So, if I upgraded to 2.2.17 and the problem went away, that doesn't
mean the problem doesn't exist, it just means that the problem may
simply be being masked or has not yet been encountered.

--- Ciemo

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.051 / U:0.412 seconds]