SubjectRe: Oops on boot with both 2.2.17 and 2.4.0t8p6
[This is an aging thread where my old P75 machine oopsed early in
boot for both 2.4.0-XX and 2.2.17. Mike Galbraith helped me a lot
and among other things mailed me KDB, which, when enabled, made a
2.4.0-test8 kernel boot.]

Hi.

I finally had some time to put printks into the kernel and that
got me somewhere. The kernel apparently oopsed in pcibios_init
trying to detect PCI stuff through the BIOS. If I pick 'direct'
as my PCI detection method the kernel boots fine (only tried
2.4.0-test9-pre2 yet, but I'll wager 2.2.17 will boot too if
CONFIG_GOBIOS is not set).

So I apparently have a wierd BIOS that makes the kernel oops. Is
this a known problem that some BIOS' do that? Or do I own an
especially evil one? :)

Also (for Mike Galbraith): Why did the KDB make a difference in
this case? I could not this any code it touched in the vicinity
of pcibios_init(). But I probably did not look hard enough.

Anyways, my machine boots now and I'll try to get Win98 off it
and a linux distro on it. BTW: Anybody know a distro that does
not have BIOS PCI detection compiled in in its boot kernel?

--
Regards,
Rasmus(rasmus@jaquet.dk)

I've always found profanity to be refuge of the inarticulate motherfucker.
--Anonymous