SubjectRe: Terrible elevator performance in kernel 2.4.0-test8
Date
In article <Pine.LNX.4.21.0009141152480.1413-200000@elte.hu>,
Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:

>i'm seeing similar problems. I think these problems started when the
>elevator was rewritten, i believe it broke the proper unplugging of IO
>devices. Does your performance problem get fixed by the attached
>workaround?

If this helps, that implies that somebody is doing a (critical) IO
request, without ever actually asking for the request to be _started_.

That sounds like a bug, and the patch looks like band-aid.

Where do we end up scheduling without starting the disk IO?

I'd rather add the disk schedule to _that_ place, instead of adding it
to every re-schedule event.

(For example, on a multi-CPU system it should _not_ be the case that one
CPU scheduling frequently should cause IO performance to go down - yet
your patch will do exactly that).

Could you make it print out a backtrace instead when this happens (make
it do it for the first few times, so as not to flood your console
forever if it ends up being common..)

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.072 / U:0.184 seconds]