    SubjectISSUE: Linux bug/restriction prevents multicast participation
    Date
    Bug report form (as suggested by the old mailing list FAQ)

    participating in certain multicast video sessions.

    Full description: Multicast standards prescribe that the port range
    49152-65535 be used for video traffic. From my observations, Linux does not
    allow user processes to use multicast sessions with ports 61000+, and
    therefore Linux can not participate in many multicast video sessions. Since
    unicast sockets can't bind to the port range either, I'm assuming that this
    port range was reserved with some purpose in mind (IP masquerading?), but
    regardless this restriction is being inappropriately applied to the class-D
    multicast range.

    Kernel version: 2.2.16-3 (and others)

    Environment (example):
    Kernel modules 2.3.10-pre1
    Gnu C egcs-2.91.66
    Binutils 2.9.5.0.22
    Linux C Library 1.3.so
    Linux C++ Library 2.7.2.8.so
    Procps 2.0.6
    Mount 2.10f
    Net-tools (1999-04-20)
    Kbd [option...]
    Sh-utils 2.0
    Sh-utils Parker.
    Sh-utils
    Sh-utils Inc.
    Sh-utils NO
    Sh-utils PURPOSE.

    Example trigger of problem: use any classic multicast app to join a session
    that utilizes a port in the restricted range.

    Other notes, patches, fixes, workarounds: No external solution is available,
    since sessions are announced using automated tools (SDR) on various OSes,
    and it's unreasonable to force users to recompile and run a hacked kernel to
    use multicast or run programs such as vic/vat as setuid root (assuming
    there's a way for root to get around this restriction, which I'm not sure is
    possible).

    I've already mentioned this problem in other forums (both physical and
    electronic), and basically received no informed responses.

    Thanks,

    MD

    http://mash.cs.berkeley.edu/
    http://www.openmash.org/
    http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.054 / U:93.152 seconds]