    SubjectRe: Proposal: Linux Kernel Patch Management System
       Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:29:04 +0100 (BST)
    From: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>

    > Like any tracking system, the suceess or failure of its rollout depends
    > completely on whether Linus et al will be steadfast enough to refuse
    > to look at any patch that hasn't gone through the system.

    If that attitude is taken the large numbers of patches will never make 2.4
    proper.

    I've never asked for that attitude. If only 50% of the patches go
    through this system, my job will be made *much* easier.

    That being said, the existing system isn't perfect. I can tell you that
    there are a large number of "obvious" bug fixes which haven't been
    making it into 2.4 proper. I do try to keep track of patches, although
    in a much more informal way than actual bug reports. Some of them are
    very simple error checking fixes which got submitted a month or two ago,
    got ignored by Linus, and are pretty much forgotten. If the patch
    author doesn't aggressively submit (in my personal experience I've had
    to sometime retransmit three or more times), the patch can get dropped,
    even if an outside observer thinks that it's an obviously good patch.

    I have an RMAIL folder containing about 120 patches that fall in this
    category. Some of the patches may still require some fixing, and some of
    the patches may have since been applied (although every so often I sweep
    through the folder and try to eliminate those that have already been
    accepted). My guess is that percentage of "good patches" that haven't
    been accepted is probably 50-75%. If anyone would like to go through
    that list and retransmit some of the more obviously correct ones to
    Linus, let me know, and I'll send you that RMAIL folder.....

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.029 / U:119.944 seconds]