SubjectRe: NFS locking bug -- limited mtime resolution means nfs_lock() does not provide coherency guarantee
> If we have a purely Linux-specific hack to ensure cache coherency,
> that will still corrupt the cache on those *NIX clients that use
> ordinary cache coherency checking (i.e. checking mtime + file size)
> rather than cache invalidation.

Its what Solaris implements and what SunOS back down to 3.x implements. I
wouldnt be suprised if others do likewise ?

> It also avoids a lot of unnecessary cache flushing. Imagine having to
> reread your entire mailbox every time you open the file whether or not
> a new message has arrived. Ugh...

Interesting point.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.049 / U:9.600 seconds]