SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Darkstar Development Project
On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Horst von Brand wrote:

> mberglund <matt@realestatesafari.com> said:
>
> [...]
>
> > License:
> > This project will not be restricted to any one license. If a piece
> > of software is desirable, but under an Artistic-, BSD-, or even
> > GPL-style license, it will be used, so long as it allows
> > free(no cost) distribution.
>
> Can't do that. The pieces that go into this (gcc, the Linux kernel, and
> minor pieces) are under licences granted by _other_ people, which you can't
> just change at your whim. And I doubt it _very_ much indeed Linus or the
> FSF will allow you to distribute their respective properties under other
> licences than the GPL.

I'm fairly sure that's not what the original poster meant. I think the
statement was intended to mean that free software would be included on the
CD/ftp site without a Debian-like aversion to anything "free but
commercial or closed source".

Later,
David