Subject(reiserfs) Re: More on 2.2.18pre2aa2
On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Rik van Riel wrote:
>
> >Also, this possibility is /extremely/ remote, if not
> >impossible. Well, it could happen at one point in time,
>
> It's not impossible. Think when you run a backup of you home
> directory while you're listening mp3. Both `tar` and `xmms` will
> read the same file that is out of cache.
>
> `tar` will be the first one who will read the next out-of-cache
> data-page of the file. The I/O will be so issued with low prio
> but then, as soon as `tar` has issued the read I/O, also `xmms`
> will wait on the same page and it will skip the next deadline
> because the I/O is been issued with low prio.

Indeed, this could be an issue...

> To make it work right is not simple.

I don't know if we really have to care about this
case. The process queueing the IO is more than
likely a good guess, and a good guess is (IMHO)
better than not guessing at all and hoping things
will be ok.

regards,

Rik
--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
-- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/