SubjectRe: Notebook disk spindown
Hi!

> > On Sat, 9 Sep 2000 rob@mur.org.uk wrote:
> > > Would it be possible to detect when the disk spins up, and do the flush then?
> > Yes if you had a continuious polling of power status wrt standby.
>
> I think the following flushing policy would work almost as well, while
> remaining generic:
>
> - if there's a read that is not handled from the buffer cache, flush
> (write) all dirty buffers
> - if we need to flush (write) one dirty buffers, flush all others too
>
> This wouldn't catch cases like an explicit spin-up without data I/O,
> but I don't think this is much of a problem in real life.

noflushd works for me. It monitors "read/write" counters in
/proc/stat, and if it detects activity, it syncs(). If it detect idle
period, it syncs() then spins disk down.
Pavel
--
I'm pavel@ucw.cz. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at discuss@linmodems.org