    Subject(reiserfs) Re: More on 2.2.18pre2aa2
    On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Martin Dalecki wrote:

    > Second: The concept of time can give you very very nasty
    > behaviour in even cases. [integer arithmetic]

    Point taken.

    > Third: All you try to improve is the boundary case between an
    > entierly overloaded system and a system which has a huge reserve
    > to get the task done. I don't think you can find any
    > "improvement" which will not just improve some cases and hurt
    > some only slightly different cases badly. That's basically the
    > same problem as with the paging strategy to follow. (However we
    > have some kind of "common sense" in respect of this, despite the
    > fact that linux does ignore it...)

    Please don't ignore my VM work ;)
    http://www.surriel.com/patches/

    > Firth: The most common solution for such boundary cases is some
    > notion of cost optimization, like the nice value of a process or
    > page age for example, or alternative some kind of choice between
    > entierly different strategies (remember the term strategy
    > routine....) - all of them are just *relative* measures not
    > absolute time constrains.

    Indeed, we'll need to work with relative measures to
    make sure both throughput and latency are OK. Some kind
    of (very simple) self-tuning system is probably best here.

    regards,

    Rik
    --
    "What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
    -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

    http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/