Subject(reiserfs) Re: More on 2.2.18pre2aa2
On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Martin Dalecki wrote:

> Second: The concept of time can give you very very nasty
> behaviour in even cases. [integer arithmetic]

Point taken.

> Third: All you try to improve is the boundary case between an
> entierly overloaded system and a system which has a huge reserve
> to get the task done. I don't think you can find any
> "improvement" which will not just improve some cases and hurt
> some only slightly different cases badly. That's basically the
> same problem as with the paging strategy to follow. (However we
> have some kind of "common sense" in respect of this, despite the
> fact that linux does ignore it...)

Please don't ignore my VM work ;)
http://www.surriel.com/patches/

> Firth: The most common solution for such boundary cases is some
> notion of cost optimization, like the nice value of a process or
> page age for example, or alternative some kind of choice between
> entierly different strategies (remember the term strategy
> routine....) - all of them are just *relative* measures not
> absolute time constrains.

Indeed, we'll need to work with relative measures to
make sure both throughput and latency are OK. Some kind
of (very simple) self-tuning system is probably best here.

regards,

Rik
--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
-- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/