SubjectRe: Linux 2.2.18pre4
Date
Alan Cox writes:

>> Over on the freebsd-questions mailing list you can see desperate
>> people trying to convert Linux systems over to that other OS to
>> escape Linux 2.2.xx NFS. This is kind of serious, you know?
>
> Shrug. So you want me to make it worse by shipping unproven code
> in a way I can't test it ?

Since it can't get much worse, yes.

This is like treatment for the terminally ill. One tries all sorts
of experimental things because there is little or nothing to lose.
With software, you can even back out changes if the patient dies.

> And FreeBSD people flow steadily to Linux too.

I've never seen it. Going the other way is common.

> 2.2 is the stable branch, my job is to keep it stable.
> That means I have a permanent queue of neat things I
> really want to apply but can't right now.

Many would interpret "stable" as "not prone to crashes and
other erratic behavior". Those who dislike change can keep
2.2.16 as long as they like.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:2.696 / U:0.028 seconds]