    SubjectRe: [RFC] Wine speedup through kernel module

    "J. Robert von Behren" <> wrote:
    > Since at least two of us agree that having dynamically allocated syscall
    > table entries would be handy, perhaps that is worth pursuing. I suppose
    > the one issue (as you mention below) is that you might need a large
    > number of these free entries. Does anyone know if there would be any
    > adverse side effect to doubleing or quadrupling the size of the system
    > call table? At first blush, I can't think of any reasons not to.

    I think just grabbing a single dynamic syscall and passing that an operation
    ID is the better way... Otherwise we probably have to export a large number of
    dynamic syscall numbers for userspace to find.

    > That said, as a stopgap, I still believe a char device could do the
    > trick....

    Not really all that much difference in internal implementation. Just that a
    char device requires allocation of a major device number.

    > As one of the function arguments (that are written to the char device)
    > just pass in a pointer to a user-space buffer, and have the kernel fill
    > it in w/ appropriate data for that call. You can do the same thing as
    > read() or others, its just that the args are passed via a memory copy,
    > rather than in registers. If you actually want to return a large struct
    > as a return value, you'd need to do some sort of kernel to user copy
    > anyway - the only difference is that it would go onto the stack
    > instead. Passing in a buffer seems cleaner to me.

    My point is that read and write have pretty well defined semantics... and I
    don't think it'd be a good idea to deviate from them. A side effect of a write
    that changed some of the process's memory space would be bad.

    Plus, it is entirely possible to accidentally construct valid data...

    David Howells

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.022 / U:6.104 seconds]