    SubjectRe: Availability of kdb
    "David S. Miller" wrote:

    > Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 18:14:03 -0600
    > From: "Jeff V. Merkey" <jmerkey@timpanogas.com>
    >
    > Linus' apparently did not understand this, or he would have
    > immediately realized that double locking was always generating a
    > second non-cacheable memory reference for every lock being taken
    > and released.
    >
    > Jeff, after working together with Linus for 6 or so years myself, I
    > would make a large wager that Linus understands these issues much
    > better than even you.
    >
    > But then again, as previously stated, I don't take you very seriously,
    > but I fear that there are a few on this list who still do.
    >
    > Later,
    > David S. Miller
    > davem@redhat.com

    David,

    You shouldn't fault me because I worked on commercial software for so
    long. I did the hardware profiling of this stuff in 1993 -- long before
    Linux was even doing SMP. I spent many sleepless nights in Building F
    on the Provo campus comparing 'mov <addr>, 0' and "lock bts, <addr>' to
    see what would happen. Long before you guys had even written your first
    spinlock ......

    Jeff

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.024 / U:30.504 seconds]