SubjectRe: Oops on boot with both 2.2.17 and 2.4.0t8p6
On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Rasmus Andersen wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Interesting turn in my efforts to make linux boot on my newly acquired
> old computer: Mike Galbraith offered me IKD for 2.4.0t8, which I
> accepted and tried (I said yes to all the IKD config options). This
> made 2.4.0t8 boot and get as far as complaining about bad root fs
> (which is correct for it to barf over). However, right after
> 'Uncompressing linux....' I get a columnfull (12 characters from left
> edge in, top to bottom) of random characters with "unconventional"
> color and background. The last 7 of these change rapidly, the list 5
> faster.These seem to stay on top as the boot messages goes normally
> from there. They do not show up in the serial dump (not surprising).
> So adding IKD to 2.4.0t8 made the initial oops go away/be hidden.

The odd colours/chars are the print EIP feature in action. You should
almost never say yes to all config options.. select what you need.

_How_ sure are you that your hw is fine? Primary difference with all
options enabled is speed.. much slower with all enabled.

-Mike

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.072 / U:26.408 seconds]