    SubjectRe: Availability of kdb
    Date
    From: "Stephen E. Clark" <sclark46@gte.net>

    > Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > >
    > > On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Oliver Xymoron wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Tools are tools. They don't make better code. They make better code easier
    > > > if used properly.
    > >
    > > I think you missed the point of my original reply completely.
    > >
    > > The _technical_ side of the tool in question is completely secondary.
    > >
    > > The social engineering side is very real, and immediate.
    >
    > > Linus
    > >

    > Then why don't we get rid of the compilers and assemblers and go back to
    > the old way of doing it
    > all - coding on the bare metal. Believe it or not at one time it was
    > done this way. Imagine where
    > we would be if everyone had said lets not invent tools to make ourselves
    > more productive.
    >
    > My $.02
    >
    > Steve Clark

    And for my severely depreciated $0.02 I am becoming concerned
    that these guys are more concerned about some macho ideal of
    generating programs while half crippled than about having things
    work properly and maintainably no matter what gets in the way.
    Art has flaws in it that have been painted over, often two or three
    times. I grew up with a giant painting of Beethoven along side the
    dinner table. It had been presented to my step-grandfather by
    the Leipzig Symphony Orchestra. It captured the brooding artist
    wonderfully. And in humid weather you could see his third hand,
    the one the artist didn't like and painted over.

    For all the zen meditation on code I begin to wonder how many of
    the fixes really are fixes or painted over features that didn't quite
    work out. It worries me no small bit.

    <sigh> and here I thought macho didnt' fit well with people who
    used their brains. I see it is as alive and well here as on the
    streets of East LA.

    {O.O}

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.023 / U:91.320 seconds]