    SubjectRe: Availability of kdb
    arrgghh jeff...

    On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

    > One of the principal architects at Compaq called me Friday after
    > reading Linus' email about not caring about commercial or support
    > issues for commercialization of Linux on this topic-- his right

    yes it his right. he cares about the 'goodness' of the kernel. The
    commercial and support issues he doesn't care about - that's the
    domain of redhat/suse/compaq/etc../etc... and timpanogas (if you so
    choose).

    if you need debugger -> add it to your local tree/ship with a
    debugger to your customers.

    > contrary to his development philosophy, so it's probably a
    > complete waste of my time.

    linux kernel hackers do the worrying about 'goodness'

    but there is *nothing* that stops commerce adding tweaks to help with
    support issues! (RedHat/SuSE/etc kernels are heavily patched and
    tweaked!)

    --
    Paul Jakma paul@clubi.ie
    PGP5 key: http://www.clubi.ie/jakma/publickey.txt