SubjectRe: [patch] string-486.h modified
"Richard B. Johnson" wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Petko Manolov wrote:
>
> > I realy would like to see this code in use ;-)
>
> After you test it **THOUROUGHLY**, send a patch to Linus. I
> recommend testing it in a user-mode program with all kinds of
> sizes/shapes/lengths/offsets, etc., and making certain that you
> don't destroy any registers that are "precious" for the
> usual versions of gcc.

I already have running kernels compiled with gcc-2.92.2 and 2.7.2.3
but this is far from the end of the story. I am looking for the source
of large user level program which massively uses string procedures in
order to stress the register allocator of the compiler - may be XFree86
is a good choice.

> If your patch doesn't hurt anything, even if it only adds marginal
> performance, I'm pretty sure that Linus will accept it.

May be. Linus hardly accepts such general patches in this moment ;-)
I'll need the comments from many people around.

best,
Petkan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:1.253 / U:0.004 seconds]