    SubjectRe: 512 byte magic multiplier (was: Large File support and blocks)

    On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Daniel Phillips wrote:

    > Linda Walsh wrote:
    > > It may not matter too too much, but blocks are being passed around as
    > > 'ints'. On the ia32 architecture, this implies a maximum of 512*2G->1T
    > > disk size. Probably don't need to worry about this today, but in a few
    > > years? Should we be changing the internal interfaces to use a long (or
    > > a long unsigned -- why signed?) Maybe for 2.5/2.6 timeframe? Just
    > > curious...
    >
    > As far as the VFS goes, this is only in the fs-dependent part of the
    > inode. The practical effect is the same.
    >
    > What I'd like to add is: while we're at it, how about losing the 512
    > byte magic multiplier and go with the filesystem block size? That way
    > Ext2 file size automatically goes up by a factor of 8 every time we
    > manage to double the filesystem block size (blocksize*2 and triple
    > indirect => 2**3).

    And what, pray tell, is the fs block size when you do tar cf /dev/hdc?
    Or fsck /dev/hdc1, for that matter...

    Device layer has no business to know about the filesystem. Really.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:4.345 / U:0.196 seconds]