    SubjectRe: Test-2.4.0-pre8 compile errors (netsyms vs netfilter duplicate defins)
    On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Keith Owens wrote:

    > >> Duplicate EXPORT_SYMBOL statements. Remove one set from netsyms.c.
    > >
    > >Why remove the symbols from netsyms.c? Why not remove the duplicates
    > >from the files in the netfilter subdirectory?
    > They are only needed if the netfilter code is compiled in. It just
    > seemed easier to keep the EXPORT_SYMBOL() close to the code that
    > defines the symbols. If they are in netsyms then you need #ifdef
    > around them, netfilter has already handled that. Either would work, it
    > is just my personal preference.

    There seems to be some confusion then, probably on my part. Some of the
    duplicate symbols are surrounded by #ifedf MODULE, some are not in the
    netfilter.c files.

    I did a number of tests before submitting my patch for
    test6-pre5. These tests included both compiling netfilter code as
    modules and as builtin. I got the correct behaviour in both cases. The
    Makefile seems to correctly take care of the cases whether MODULE is
    defined and whether the code is modular or not.

    Personally, if we're going to have a "central" place where such symbols
    are defined, such as ksyms and netsyms, I'd rather have them
    there. I'll defer to Russell and the other MAITAINTERS, however.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.020 / U:1.276 seconds]