SubjectRe: Need e1000.o (Intel 1GB NIC driver) for 2.4.x

> >> Unless this has changed dramatically from the original release I
> >> looked at (v1.0 or so), then now would probably be a good time to
> >> look into the portabillity and other 'issues' (or should I say lack
> >> of) in the driver ;-)
>
> Matthew> You might want to look at the port I did for FreeBSD/OpenBSD
> Matthew> for this card (if_wx.c/if_wxvar.h). It's really hard to get
> Matthew> info out of Intel about the card, which is too bad because I
> Matthew> sure like the programming model.
>
> Personally I would rather go pick a card from another vendor which
> supports Free Software properly. But then again I am biased.

You won't get any argument from me on that one. I had a bit of a light
shouting match with the supposed 'manager for open source products' at Intel
on this subject last year:

He: "You have to sign an NDA to get techical info"
Me: "Fine. That's understandable. However, all you
need tell then is which information you *don't*
want made public (e.g., "XXXX feature we'd like
to not see out there"). But a basic functioning
driver will be open source."
He: "I'll have to get back to you on that."
<<session times out>>

If I hadn't had a client that had wanted me to specifically do the Intel board
(and release it to *BSD- way to go, Traakan!) I certainly wouldn't have
bothered, although, as I said, I like the chip's programming model.

Netgear is supposed to be very supportive with SDK's.

-matt

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.030 / U:8.432 seconds]