SubjectRe: 2.2.* kernels w/ glibc-2.1.* allowing ngroups_max to be > 128?
Date
Thanks for the long post.  I'll check out those url's you listed for the ACL
extensions.

You are close to what it is that we are trying to run here. I'm not that
good at putting this
into ascii art but to give a /unix/ style breakdown as to what we have.

Groups:
CLIENT1
CLIENT2
VENDOR1
VENDOR2
VENDOR3
SUPPORT1
SUPPORT2

users:
client10
client20
vendor10
vendor20
vendor30
support10
support20
daemon

the user 'daemon' is a part of all groups to have access to all directories.
The user is not root (for OS security issues).

the directory map can be displayed like this:

dr-xr-xr-x 7 root other 512 Nov 3 1999 CLIENT1
drwxr-xr-x 27 root other 512 Aug 8 14:48 CLIENT1/pub
drwxr-x--- 6 root VENDOR1 512 Jul 31 17:15 CLIENT1/pub/VENDOR1
drwxrwx--- 2 root VENDOR1 512 Jul 12 15:05 CLIENT1/pub/VENDOR1/from_US
drwxrwx--- 2 root SUPPORT1 512 Jul 10 15:19 CLIENT1/pub/VENDOR1/to_VENDOR1
drwxrwx--- 2 root VENDOR1 512 Jul 12 14:19 CLIENT1/pub/VENDOR1/to_US
drwxrwx--- 2 root SUPPORT1 512 Jul 12 15:05 CLIENT1/pub/VENDOR1/from_VENDOR1
drwxr-x--- 6 root VENDOR2 512 Jul 31 17:15 CLIENT1/pub/VENDOR2
drwxrwx--- 2 root VENDOR2 512 Jul 21 16:49 CLIENT1/pub/VENDOR2/from_US
drwxrwx--- 2 root SUPPORT1 512 Jul 21 16:49 CLIENT1/pub/VENDOR2/to_VENDOR2
drwxrwx--- 2 root VENDOR2 512 Jul 24 10:58 CLIENT1/pub/VENDOR2/to_US
drwxrwx--- 2 root SUPPORT1 512 Jul 24 10:58 CLIENT1/pub/VENDOR2/from_VENDOR2
drwxr-x--- 6 root VENDOR3 512 Jul 31 17:14 CLIENT1/pub/VENDOR3
drwxrwx--- 2 root VENDOR3 512 Jul 31 16:42 CLIENT1/pub/VENDOR3/from_US
drwxrwx--- 2 root VENDOR3 512 Jul 31 17:24 CLIENT1/pub/VENDOR3/to_US
drwxrwx--- 2 root SUPPORT1 512 Jul 14 15:10 CLIENT1/pub/VENDOR3/to_VENDOR3
drwxrwx--- 2 root SUPPORT1 512 Apr 20 16:41 CLIENT1/pub/VENDOR3/from_VENDOR3
d--x--x--x 2 root other 512 Apr 8 1998 CLIENT1/bin
d--x--x--x 2 root other 512 Apr 2 1998 CLIENT1/dev
d--x--x--x 2 root other 512 Apr 2 1998 CLIENT1/etc
d--x--x--x 3 root other 512 Apr 2 1998 CLIENT1/usr
d--x--x--x 2 root other 512 Apr 2 1998 CLIENT1/usr/lib

Each client has it's own chrooted environment. we have say three vendors
(VENDORS[1-3]) dropping
off files. Each vendor has access only to their own sub-directory under the
client's environment. Each
client has 1-2 people who have access to all of their vendor's directories
(groups), but no access to
any of the SUPPORT groups (which are OUR users). Likewise, we have a team
per client. That team
is assigned a support group. That group [SUPPORT1] has access to only their
directories not the vendor's
directories. There is generally 1 person (team leader) who has access to
BOTH vendor groups and support
groups for that client.

In addition there is the daemon user who has access to all vendor & support
groups as all scripts/programs
are run from this account.

Some vendors may support more than one client in which case they have
different user id's. (vendor10, vendor11
et al). each one is set up the same way but limited to that specific
client). each client is chrooted so there is
no way cross that boundary besides logging into it with a different userid
and being directed.

Now this is a small example. This scales to that per client there may be
say 16-60 vendors, and several clients
(50+).

Security is high and you are correct compartmentalized. ACL's would help
though there is a maintence issue.
Generally second level techs maintain this and third level set up the
environment. (ie, 3rd level builds the box/system
and then turns it over to second to handle the day-day adding/creating
accounts for clients). A kernel change
would be relatively easy to put into place once and then no additional
training really needs to take place at
the second level admin area.

I hope I haven't confused the issue too much you were very close with your
diagram.

Steve