    SubjectRe: RFC: design for new VM
    hi gerrit-

    good to see you on the list.

    On Mon, 7 Aug 2000 Gerrit.Huizenga@us.ibm.com wrote:
    > Another fundamental flaw I see with both the current page aging mechanism
    > and the proposed mechanism is that workloads which exhaust memory pay
    > no penalty at all until memory is full. Then there is a sharp spike
    > in the amount of (slow) IO as pages are flushed, processes are swapped,
    > etc. There is no apparent smoothing of spikes, such as increasing the
    > rate of IO as the rate of memory pressure increases. With the exception
    > of laptops, most machines can sustain a small amount of background
    > asynchronous IO without affecting performance (laptops may want IO
    > batched to maximize battery life). I would propose that as memory
    > pressure increases, paging/swapping IO should increase somewhat
    > proportionally. This provides some smoothing for the bursty nature of
    > most single user or small ISP workloads. I believe databases style
    > loads on larger machines would also benefit.

    2 comments here.

    1. kswapd runs in the background and wakes up every so often to handle
    the corner cases that smooth bursty memory request workloads. it executes
    the same code that is invoked from the kernel's memory allocator to
    reclaim pages.

    2. i agree with you that when the system exhausts memory, it hits a hard
    knee; it would be better to soften this. however, the VM system is
    designed to optimize the case where the system has enough memory. in
    other words, it is designed to avoid unnecessary work when there is no
    need to reclaim memory. this design was optimized for a desktop workload,
    like the scheduler or ext2 "async" mode. if i can paraphrase other
    comments i've heard on these lists, it epitomizes a basic design
    philosophy: "to optimize the common case gains the most performance
    advantage."

    can a soft-knee swapping algorithm be demonstrated that doesn't impact the
    performance of applications running on a system that hasn't exhausted its
    memory?

    - Chuck Lever
    --
    corporate: <chuckl@netscape.com>
    personal: <chucklever@bigfoot.com>

    The Linux Scalability project:
    http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/linux-scalability/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:5.242 / U:0.164 seconds]