SubjectRe: can't mKernel Panic at Boot
Hi,

I made some minor changes to the Linux kernel
(v2.2.14-5), and followed the regular compilation
procedure, ie:

make config
make dep
make clean
make bzImage
(no errors in any of the above)

copied the new image to /boot, modified /etc/lilo.conf
, ran /sbin/lilo and tried to boot my m/c using this
new kernel. But i got the foll. error output:

.
.
.
scsi: 0 hosts.
scsi: detected total.
md.c: sizeof(mdp_super_t) = 4096
Partition check:
autodetecting RAID arrays
autorun ...
... autorun DONE.
request_module[block-major-8]: Root fs not mounted
VFS: Cannot open root device 08:05

The original kernel boots fine. I have a SCSI hard
drive -- are there any options that I need to set
during make config (I used the defaults)? The modified
kernel is running OK on another machine (with an IDE
HDD), so I guess the problem is because of SCSI, and
something I need to do with the configuration .. could
someone please advise?

If this is the wrong list to be posting such a
question, i am extremely sorry.. i tried looking up
several sources, but havent reached anywhere so far..

Thanks,
Mahesh.