SubjectRe: can't mlockall() more than 128MB, is this a kernel limitiation ?
On Sun, Aug 06, 2000 at 03:12:52PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > IMHO, an ordinary user may only lock a limited amount of memory. Maybe it is
> > wise to specify a certain amount which may *not* be locked. This memory is
> > reserved for the rest of the processes.
> Right now Linux isnt tracking per user resources. You need the beancounter
> addons to implement per user memory like that

Actually test6-pre* seems to, at least for files and processes.
See linux/kernel/user.c

I guess it would be trivial to use it for mlock too. Of course you still
want a global limit too. Having a few pages mlockable per user per defalt
would be very useful for cryptographic software that does not want its
keys stored on the swap partition.