> I'm getting a 100% reproducible assertion failure at balloc.c:558:
>
> * way it could happen, thus the BUG().
> */
> if (*prealloc_count)
> BUG();
> *prealloc_count = 0;
> *prealloc_block = next_block;
> /* Writer: end */
>
> This is happening when running mmap002. I've put a gdb backtrace up at
> http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/ext2.txt

Unfortunately, the whole ext2 block allocation code was re-written
recently by Al Viro for test6-pre1, and it looks like it has bugs (see
also thread <test6-pre2 loop in ext2_get_block>)... I understand that
there may have been some locking problems with the old code because of
the VFS re-design, but it seems like a bad move IMHO to change such an
important piece of code in a drastic way right now.

I think the majority of the change was a FEATURE to have zero-locking
block allocation and while this itself is a good thing, RIGHT NOW is
not the time to do it. My online resize patch, which is by far less
intrusive since it is only called at mount time and resize time and
is mostly just moving existing code into a subroutine, was rejected
(rightfully so) because ext2 is too important to break at this late date.

If it were up to me, I'd back out this patch and fix only the minimum
required areas.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
\ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?"