SubjectRe: vesafb for Intel 810

> <quote>
> Does the vesafb frame-buffer module work on the Intel 810 and Intel 815
> Chipset Families?
> No. The vesafb module can only make use of linear
> VESA modes. The Intel 810 and Intel 815 chipset families use banked
> modes and therefore, cannot boot into a frame-buffer. It would be
> possible to add banked mode support to the vesafb driver, but as of
> yet there are no plans to do so. The vga 16 color framebuffer
> available in recent Linux kernels does function properly and can be
> used in place of the vesafb framebuffer.
> </quote>
>
> My question is obvious by now I assume: are there plans implementing
> banked mode support to the vesafb driver?

Awhile I seen someone working on a intel fbdev driver. Are the docs
avaliable. If so a driver can be written for it. Their are two things you
have to do. First internally for the consoel system deal with drawing to
the screen. The best way to deal with this for this card is to use the
accel engine to preform the drawing routines for the console. The second
is mmaping the framebuffer. Remember you are using virtual memeory so you
can be quite clever. You can mmap a linear framebuffer with virtual
memory even if the card using banking. To do this you need to create a
page fault hanlder to determine which bank to mmap to userland.

Q: Why did they deprecate a.out support in linux?
A: Because a nasty coff is bad for your elf.

James Simmons [jsimmons@linux-fbdev.org] ____/|
fbdev/console/gfx developer \ o.O|
http://www.linux-fbdev.org =(_)=
http://linuxgfx.sourceforge.net U
http://linuxconsole.sourceforge.net

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.541 / U:0.360 seconds]