SubjectRe: Dual athlon support?

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Dieter [iso-8859-1] Nützel wrote:

> It is courtesy of QuantX (www.quant-x.com).
> I found it on a 'Cool stuff for Linux 1.5' QuantX/Samsung Semiconductor CD
> for there nice Alpha's.
>
> It is for comparison of FPU performance. They have some numbers for
> different CPU's packed with it.

[snip]
> I have the source. It is really small so I can post it if you like.

Yes please, that'd be excellent. Either that or email me direct - thanks.

> I don't know and would more than happy if some AMD stuff could shine some
> light on it!!!

Any help from the AMD guys would surely be much appreciated in getting
Linux to fly *faster* on Athlons of all shapes and sizes (personally, I'm
just waiting for my KT7 to put a T-bird on).

> If you compare with the 'latest' announced 'SPEC world record for x86
> FPU's' (SPECfp_base2000 value 290 for there 1 GHz Thunderbird with there
> beta Compaq-Fortran-Compiler, version 6.5) it looks good.
> The peak was 302.

Yes, it really is something... I'm being patient!

> Yes, it was introduced first with pgcc but I found some problems with pgcc
> and FPU (Mesa/DRI) stuff.

OK, I'll upgrade. What are the likely benefits of a kernel compiled in
this manner?

> BTW I do my thesis in the field of 3D medical image analysis/visualization.

Another demanding FP user! I've recently submitted my thesis in 3D
analysis of enzyme active sites :-)

Regards,

Duncan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.043 / U:0.160 seconds]