SubjectRe: 2T for i386
On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Alan Cox wrote:
>At 2Tb in a single partition you might well start hitting barriers. I think
>there is a 1Tb limit per device somewhere. You also need to ask yourself how
>long 2Tb would take to fsck on a power failure. Right now 2.2 doesnt support
>journalling over software raid so that would stop you using reiserfs and ext3.

Who said he was going to use software RAID? For that matter, he didn't say
he was going to use ext2 either. (However, that seems to be a logical
assumption.)

>You might be able to do that with hardware IDE raid controllers and the like
>such as the 3ware 8 port cards, or scsi raid controllers and then run ext3
>or reiserfs.

If you're building a 2TB array, you're not gonna do it with bloody IDE
hardware. (I hope you're joking.)

--Ricky

PS: fsck is very expensive on a full filesystem.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.099 / U:0.076 seconds]