    SubjectRe: SCO: "thread creation is about a thousand times faster than on
    On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Pavel Machek wrote:

    > Hi!

    [...]
    > > > So you need some hackery to make mount(8) cause change in all
    > > > namespaces at once. Whatever is done, this will be gross.
    > > > I suppose you'd require a loopback of some sort, so that one
    > > > might rip the real filesystem out from under /var/mail instead
    > > > of trying to unmount it in 50 different namespaces... ugh.
    > >
    > > Not. Loopback would be gross, but I'm not proposing it. OTOH, getting all
    > > mailreaders work with IMAP with _no_ changes in said mailreaders is a
    > > Good Thing(tm). So is free (for mailreaders) support of any weird
    > > protocol, format and location of mailbox, locking scheme, etc. - do it in
    > > one place and that's it. Everything looks like we have the mailbox in
    > > fixed format on local filesystem, no matter WTF is actually out there.
    > > And guess what? It doesn't have to be one process and it's nowhere near
    > > the kernel mode, or even suid.
    >
    > What does this have to do with private namespaces?
    >
    > mailfsd /dev/coda0 --enable-imap &
    > mount /dev/coda0 /var/spool/mail

    So every user will see /var/spool/mail. There must be a single mailfsd
    for all users.

    With private namespaces, every user can run his/her own mailfsd,
    privately mount /var/spool/mail, and run a mailer program to access
    one or more IMAP mailbox as /var/spool/mail/<mailbox>.

    But I must say I don't really get the difference in running my own
    mailfsd, mounting ~/mail and having the mailer program read IMAP
    mailboxes there (OK, /var/spool/mail/<user> is the default INBOX
    for many mailers, and some of them don't let you change that... but
    this is a minor issue, just recompile them).

    All I need is a private mount point (and privileges to mount on it).