SubjectRe: Linux 2.2.18pre1
On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Neil Brown wrote:

> What incompatible tools???
>
> Any nfs-utils that work with vanilla 2.2.16 will work just fine with
> patched 2.2.16. They may not access any new functionality, but there
> ARE NO INCOMPATIBILITIES (that I know of, and I am quute close to the
> game).

i meant old tools. sorry.

will old tools work with kernel+nfs patches? i think the fear and
main argument against updating NFS in linux 2.2 is that people will
be forced to update their tools.

(however to that arg i say: anybody who uses NFS for any half serious
purpose will already have patched up, or is using a dist kernel with
patches).

> Note that this is in contrast to the changes that went into 2.2.14,
> which DID break compatability - all of a sudden you needed to run
> lockd from user space, where as before you didn't. (with the patches
> you don't any more, so they actaully improve compatability).

cool. another reason to include the patches.

--
Paul Jakma paul@clubi.ie
PGP5 key: http://www.clubi.ie/jakma/publickey.txt